Why UX is Not UI? Answering the Million Dollar Question for the Laymen
Gone are the days when website design was discussed as a general point of concern. In today’s scenario, when the shift from product-oriented to customer-oriented approach is almost complete, a ‘good website design’ sounds like a vague term. Businesses, which own or plan to launch websites as well as apps, need to worry about creating the right interfaces and experiences for their users to win the latter’s attention, response and loyalty.
That highlights the two extremely significant terms, which in the refined technical language are referred to as User Interface (UI) and User Experience (UX). If you have just the slightest idea about these terms, you must find out the difference between UI and UX to understand them better. The rest of the discussion does exactly that.
Firstly, the Layman’s Definitions
UI design of a website or app focuses on the visual elements that make the very first impression on the users. Icons, colors, typography and other such elements constitute the user interface.
UX design focuses on the overall experience that the users draw from using a website or app. It involves processes, actions and reactions, interactions as well as the thoughts and feelings that the users go through while using not just the interface, but also the products and services of the site or app.
UX Recognizes Needs, UI Attracts Those in Need
Let’s cite an example to understand what is UX and UI design? Consider a newly-opened restaurant in an area. The first task that the owner must have performed is research about the customers’ needs and preferences. Are there more continental or Italian food lovers? Which age group would visit the premises more? Would it be beneficial to attract couples, teenagers or families? Are multilingual waiters required or not?
Each of these aspects would help in deciding the food, music, ambiance, service and more. That’s creating a wonderful UX.
Now, the things like furniture, decors, utensils and menu layouts would layout the interface for the visitors. The visitors would think like “this seems to be a good place worth trying and let’s give it a try”. That’s the power of a good UI design.
The discussion so far highlights many UI and UX design difference points:
- UI design is a part of the entire UX design process. The entire process of interface laying-out is a part of creating the impactful user experience.
- UX design starts first, while UI design follows. It is because an elaborated exercise of prototyping is required to achieve the goal of satisfactory user experience. Once all the wireframes are decided, the UI designer begins his or her task. However, the two may run simultaneously if you hire the same team for UI and UX design.
- While UI design focuses on the interface of the website or app, UX focuses on the functionality and flow of the product or app/website
- UI ultimately attempts to enhance the interface’s beautifulness while UX design aims at enhancing its usefulness.
Why UX is not UI can also be answered with an understanding about the users’ emotions. UX design plays the initial and the final role while UI performs its role somewhere in the middle of the process. A UX designer would first identify the users’ emotions. Then, a UI designer would do the needful to trigger those emotions. Finally, the UX designer would again play the role to help users fulfill the triggered emotions.
What the users take away with them while leaving your website or app is the sense of accomplishment. For this, UX and UI designs must play their distinct roles in concurrence. Infojini is a well-known name for UI and UX design Maryland. It offers consultation about the benefits of hiring a UX/UI professional and boasts of a team of experts to achieve these tasks. Call at 410-919-9440 right now to get started.
William B. Young
Subscribe For Updates
- Beware of these Mobile App Security Issues during Mobile app development
- Infojini Consulting will see you in New Jersey on Oct 22 for ProcureCon Pharma 2018 Event
- Infojini Consulting will Head to Austin, Texas to the NMSDC Conference in October 2018
- Infojini Consulting will be present at the ClubVMSA’s Supplier Summit in New York
- Importance of Website Development & Design Services for Preschools